Guildford Heritage Area Policy and Guidelines
We were engaged in 2019 to assist City of Swan prepare a new Heritage Area Policy for Guildford Historic Town following its inclusion on the State Register of Heritage Places. The policy updates the existing LPP that was considered to no longer be fit for purpose by both City officers and the community. The primary intent of the policy is to make it performance based and combine both design guidelines and standard policy provisions in one easy to use document.
The community stakeholders in Guildford are a vocal and highly engaged group who are custodians of the heritage area and an intrinsic part of the management of the town. Engagement with the community was a key part of this study and by actively engaging with them we were able to harness a significant value add opportunity by receiving considerable background knowledge and historical resources.
element were appointed as heritage and community engagement consultants for this project. We also drew on our urban design and graphic ability in the preparation of the design guidelines and preparation of the policy document.
This project is still on-going but has included the following outcomes:
- Detailed recommendations reporting based on an assessment of existing policy and scope of amendments
- Stakeholder engagement workshop with key community and input into on-going community engagement activities
- Draft policy document
- Presentations to Council to discuss the process
- Workshops with Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage
- Preparation of draft design guideline diagrams