Claremont Municipal Council Electricity Substation was built in 1923. In 1985 it was converted into a retail outlet, and later a tyre store and workshops. Those uses threatened the heritage fabric, including through misuse, neglect, damaging repairs and intrusive change. The owner proposed conservation works and for the place to be adapted for new use as commercial/office tenancies.
The substation is on the Town of Claremont’s Heritage List. element provided Due Diligence for the client to ensure a successful adaptive re-use. We then completed a Heritage Impact Assessment, conservation works schedule, and detailed design. We saw the project through the construction and works stages, providing architectural documentation, tender and specification, and contract administration.
We provided an A-Z service for this project, seeing it through from its inception to completion. The outcome is the revitalisation of a heritage building, which now adds value to the Claremont and Stirling Highway streetscape and enhances commercial tenancy’s value to the owner. We achieved a successful adaptive re-use of the building to enhance the cultural heritage significance while providing opportunity for a contemporary function.
What We Delivered
- Due Diligence
- Heritage Impact Assessment
- Conservation Works Schedule
- Schematic design
- Construction documentation
- Tender documents and contract administration
- Supervision of conservation works